Eureka!

Isn't electricity awesome! I think I am experiencing something of the joy Ben Franklin had when sparks flew from the key on his damp kite string to his hand... but gratefully without any of the hassle or creative buildup. Seriously, who would think of going to fly a kite out in a storm with a key attached to the string - only living without electricity your entire life would drive you to that. Good work Mr. Franklin.

Our electricity began coursing through our starving wires on Thursday night around 11:30 with a loud police siren whoop. Lights are so cool, they really help out when its dark. And you know what else is so cool, a fan. It just blows on you when you are hot, an artificial cool prairie breeze. What a great idea. No more waving paper at your face until your wrist starts aching. No more sticky blinking with sweaty eyelids... just air. Blowing at you non-stop. Thank you Mr. Fan-Inventor man, I appreciate you.




So, of course, I have been enjoying the electricity in many ways... emailing friends and family, updating my awesome blog, talking on my cell phone (or at least knowing I can if I want to), doing stuff after dark, casually putting dirty dishes in the dishwasher!, using a blanket at night (ok, maybe it's just a sheet but at least it's something), oh, and my favorite electricity moment of our new-found modern lifestyle was when we decided to jam to the best of The Jackson Five after dinner Friday. We turned it up way loud as we cleaned the table and did the dishes while the girls busted a move to some of the best housework music ever made... right up there with the Supremes. I am telling you, cleaning is just more pleasant when you listen to Motown. One minute you've got a pile of dishes and your singin' "Stop, in the name of love... Before you break my heart!" at the top of your lungs and the next minute the kitchen is totally clean and you're humming rather awkwardly to that one song you don't really know the words to on the album, but it doesn't matter cause you're done anyways! It's magic. And it's all made possible because of electricity, which is a modern miracle. Yay for electric things and the The Jackson Five.

Comments

Jessica said…
I can't believe you guys went so long without power! MoTown music makes cleaning much more fun. Timothy is loving some 50s doowop & James Taylor right now. Well, he pretty much likes whatever we play, but you know. He has his favorites. I am adding you to my blogger roll-hope you don't mind!
Alona said…
Yay for electricity! I can't wait for you to clean off our sticky cards! :)
Rachel said…
I love the Jackson Five!!
Laura said…
Work it girl!!!! That reminds me of when we would dance up the stairs with our laundry to "I like to move it, move it."

Popular Posts