Kazakhstan

So I live in Kazakhstan.  Never thought I'd say that, and yet here I am.  The strangest part of the whole thing is how at home I already feel despite being half a world away.  I fully understand that when temperatures begin to drop to 40 below, I may not feel as at home, but for the time being temperatures have been either sweltering (ceiling fans, Kazakhstan, get on board) or perfectly balmy like this morning when a sweet cool breeze is blowing through our 16th story apartment right next door to school.  Jet lag is fading, we are creating relationships with people around us, mostly just the english speakers for now, but my very limited Russian keeps me from doing much more than pantimime and smile at locals.  Life is new and good.

What I would like to mainly speak about on my blog is my experience teaching here in Kazakhstan as it is my primary purpose in coming to Kazakhstan and, as far as I can tell, going to be my consuming activity while here.  But before I start telling you about my already interesting and rather chaotic experience in the school here, I want to tell you about a few of the people we have met here.  These people will be my coworkers, my neighbors, my community, and my friends for the next year.  

KYAHI(letter than doesn't exist on my keyboard) Kwanish:  Kwanish is the first Kazakh I ever met.  He works at the school as a liason to the foriegn teachers and had the important task of picking Scott and I up from the airport.  First thing you notice about Kwanish is his big smile.  Second thing you notice about Kwanish is his humble skills in English.  But don't worry, his smile makes up for it.  And that has been the continuing trend with him ever since.

Kurt and Claudia: An adorable older couple who have come out of retirement to teach here "for something interesting to do".  Scott and I hope that we will be like them when we grow up.  Also we are starting a Bridge club with them on Saturday.  Very exciting.

Lydia:  Our next door neighbor from Ireland who is a delightful art teacher, similarly delightful to many of the other art teachers I know.  She is always smiling and often has a funny thing to say to put a smile on someone else's face as well.

Burt and Bernie:  A couple from the UK who are very friendly and easy to chat with.  Bernie is an Economics teacher who also speaks more Russian than all the rest of us put together which makes her not only amazing and my hero, but a great person to go out with.  Burt teaches Maths, or "mass" as they call it in the UK and has an amazing assortment of Math themed ties.  Also they live on our floor.

Kathy:  A sweet woman on our hall who has been teaching in Kuwait for many years before coming here.  She has a cat which Scott and I are eager to meet, arrived early and so had valuable information about where we can purchase things.  Also we met her on the street when she was headed out to look for cinnamon to add to her bread pudding which automatically qualifies her as a kindred spirit.  

Andrew: The brand new Vice Principal of the school from the UK but most recently Abu Dhabi.  His optimistic attitude and diplomatic style of interaction make him one of the most steady and reliable people here.  He makes, "I don't know what is going on," sound like he knows exactly what is going on.  

I won't bore you with descriptions of every person I've met, but so much of what I am discovering about my new life has to do with the people I am meeting and interacting with.  I really like all the people I have met so far and look forward to spending more time with all of them.

Also, as a side note, if anyone reading this has questions they want answered about Kazakhstan or my job here or anything in the posts please comment.  I want to know what is interesting to read about, what people would like to hear more about.  

Comments

V said…
So fun to read! I. Cant wait to hear about your students and teaching. :)
Joetta Toland said…
What are you teaching? Do you know yet? It sounds so exciting!! Really an adventure! Wow..

Love your descriptions of the people... hope you keep that up!

Love both of your blogs..

40 below.. hope you are kidding. Yikes!

love mom
Rachel said…
Kirst,

You sound HAPPY. I am so thrilled. The hardest things are always the best things. I am a little jealous of the experience you are going to have. Enjoy this adventure and do lots of writing about it, so we can share it with you!!

xo
Rachel
Annie said…
Hi Kirsten,
Fun to read your blog and see what you are up to. What are you doing in Khazakastan?
Great first A-town post. I can see this is suiting you two well already. I am relieved that you have quickly found kindred spirits. Scott mentioned that you already started work, is school in session already or are you still setting up shop?
wileywoman said…
Cool. I'm still jealous. That city looks awesome....I love the buildings! Isn't there a beach or something on top of the spiral-y one? Can't wait to hear more about teaching and the people you meet. Miss you!
Lisa Thomas said…
You make me love those people, too! Get Scott to take some photos of them soon so I can imagine them.

What an excellent adventure.

I'd like to know what size of faculty/staff the school has, the size of the student population, when students start the school year, if their families live locally, what sort of faculty meetings you are having, what the school looks like, if you have plenty of supplies for teaching, if you are using electronic textbooks or paper ones, if students bring their lunches to school or eat in a cafeteria. That will give you some ideas!

Love and miss you so much.
Alice said…
I want to know all about the school. Number of students? How large are classes? What are the students like? What is the best interaction with a student you have had so far? Etc.

P.S. We miss you at IHS. The changes we are making are brilliant. I get goosebumps just thinking of the possibilities. You'll have to check out my blog for happenings on occasion!
mk said…
So happy that you guys are doing stuff like this. Can't wait to read about all your adventures!

Popular Posts