Well, my brother just discovered an unidentified wireless signal so I am taking advantage of it to quickly post about the hurricane.

Basically, it hit us directly. Sometime in the middle of the night between Friday and Saturday the eye actually passed over us. I was asleep (storms are the best for sleeping in) but still caught a big part of the storm Saturday morning into the afternoon. It wasn't until 3 or 4 on Saturday that I got out on my bike and was able to go for a quick ride through the neighborhood to survey the damage. Luckily the neighborhood we live in, being only a few years old, is a clearing in 'the livable forest' of huge trees. There was so little damage in our neighborhood with it's puny trees, only a few of which were sitting at odd angles, I was beginning to think that this hurricane stuff was not as bad as they all say. My mind was quickly awakened as I pedalled into the next neighborhood over. The limbs and leaves of the broken trees blanketed the street and lawns of its inhabitants. Huge holes gashed the lawns where trees had fallen. Not a pretty site. And as more and more of the neighbors ventured out of our small area, they brought back stories of fallen power lines, long lines at the few gas stations and grocery stores with power, and lots of damaged homes. The more I hear leaked in, the more I believe our neighborhood was miraculously untouched by the damage of Ike.

The question now is... WHEN IS THE POWER COMING BACK?! 4 days and counting now without power. Just tonight we acquired a generator from a friend who's power has already returned. But don't get too excited... in worst case scenario our power could be off till October 5th according to our favorite energy providers. Let's all hope it's sooner than that! For now I'm happy with my fan and light on after dark for the first time in days.

oh! I almost forgot. I got to do laundry by hand today for the first time since my days in the Philippines. My fingers are smarting pretty good, but it was a sort of fun reminiscent activity to fill my time. The girls kept wanting to help but didn't quite grasp the idea of rinsing the clothes and ended up splashing socks and princess panties in the water getting everyone involved pretty wet. But there is a sort of satisfaction that comes from seeing all of your wash strung up in the yard blowing in the breeze.. it was a very Little House on the Prairie moment for Karen and me. Not the first of its kind this week and probably not the last.

oh, Ike.

Comments

Popular Posts