A few things worth mentioning.

1. My students use the word moreover when they talk. It is adorable.
2. It is now winter in Astana along with that comes winter clothing. Most people have long parkas with fur-lined hoods. Some women have full fur coats that make me want to stand close to them on the bus and try to pet the coat without them noticing, haven't had a good opportunity yet. I'll be in touch.
3. The international vice principal, Andrew, has been moved to a new position higher up in the management company leaving our team without a leader in the administration. This unexpected and rather sudden change has dealt a rather heavy blow to the unity and morale of the group and to my own in particular. He wasn't perfect, but certainly created a foundation of professionalism and organization to our work here. His replacement is pending, but his place is one I don't think can be filled entirely.
4. We found a new type of cheese, a sort of mix between cream cheese and feta, which is amazing. I still miss cheddar and cream cheese, get frustrated every time I go to the store and they aren't there, but Salakis, you have done so much to ease the pain.
5. I've lost over 15 pounds since arriving in Astana due to various conditions: living next door to the gym and not having much else to do some nights (although life is getting busier lately, not necessarily a bad thing), our oven being broken until last week when it was replaced (and is still not working properly) making it impossible to make cookies or other baked goods, my self control of not eating the cakes that look so delicious when we eat at the school canteen, and of course a lot more walking. Go me.
6. We went to Almaty, the old capital of the country in the mountainous south of Kazakhstan, during my days off between terms. It was so beautiful and wonderful and warm. There I experienced, for a few days, the autumn season I was missing here in Astana. I also enjoyed a much-needed and much-appreciated break from the stress of work and a chance to celebrate my one year anniversary with Scott, the man who made me breakfast this morning so that I could sleep in an extra half hour and the shoulder I cry on about once a week these days. It was my favorite weekend since we got here. Not to mention the beautiful antique embroidery we picked up while we were there. Check out Scott's blog over the next week to see the pictures.
7. Tickets are booked for a trip to the Philippines over Christmas break. Looking forward to the beaches, the people, the food, the experience, and the chance to speak a foreign language that isn't Russian.
8. Speaking of Russian, one of my students told me I was getting better at it this week. Not difficult since I came knowing next to nothing, but an appreciated comment none the less.
9. We were invited to my team teacher, Alibek's house a few weeks ago for dinner. He and his lovely wife were the perfect hosts, feeding us a delicious Kazakh meal with homemade cookies and jam for dessert along with some hot chocolate (which we taught them how to make when they came to dinner at our house). They also presented us with some gifts: a jewelry box shaped like a yurt for me and a mug with a map of Kazakhstan on it for Scott also for me.
10.We are putting on a production of The Wizard of Oz(Kaz) at the school. By we I mean the teacher-librarian at our school, Alison, a friend of mine is putting it on with a little help from me and some other teachers. This week we had our first auditions which were ADORABLE and a lot of fun actually. My favorites were of course my own students, seeing them sing was so great, and also a really cute 6th grade boy with a pretty awesome singing voice, a group of girls who had made up a dance for the audition, and the sweet little 7th grade girl who did the precious monologue with herself about having a "heada-ch" who told us after, "I improv it." It is going to be a lot of work but I can't wait for the adorable moments along the way.

That is a quick summary of the last month or so since I've posted. If there is anything you are dying to hear more about, leave a comment and I'll try to post more about it.

Comments

Chelsea said…
I love hearing about your marvelous adventure! And thanks for sharing the pictures of your embroideries and the yurt box. Those are awesome!!
I'm glad you're there with your husband. I wonder how people can head off across the world just as single people, not knowing anyone or having a built-in support system. I'm very grateful to bring my family with me across the world, and I'm glad you have yours, too.
Becky said…
Fun! Thanks for the update, Kirst! The Philippines for Christmas?! Agh, I'm jealous.
Rachel said…
I miss you and am proud of you! I hope you get to pet someone on the bus!
Laura said…
THE PHILIPPINES! JEEZ. Lucky.

Popular Posts