One week down....

First week of school.... 6 classes a day, 5 days, about 140 students each day, 1 substitute, a sore throught, several diet cokes, 2 interesting lunches bought at school, about 25 dress code violations, and 2 referrals later I am still alive and ready to go back for more next week.

The first two days of school were pretty dull as we spent most of the time doing school orientation activities. It wasn't until Wednesday that we really got started. I am not planning the lessons yet but Mr. Ramey has let me take over teaching several classes a day. On Friday, in fact, he was out of town and I taught all day long. But don't worry.. the substitute who sat at the desk all day got paid for it. I'm not bitter, I promise.

This week I also had my first student teacher meeting where I met my university supervisor, Mrs. Sue Wooten. Mrs. Wooten was the principle at Teague before the current principle and as I walked down the hallways with this silver haired, stern looking, and very professional woman at my side, veteran teachers and the assistant principles were making comments like, "Hello maam, why is it that when I see you I still start to sweat," and, to me, "this is the woman who hired me," with a hint of worry in their voices like she might still be able to take it back. But under the rather intimidating aura of this woman I see a kind, helpful, and important person that I am sure I will be glad to be connected to in the future. Plus, she complimented my writing in a biographical essay I wrote for my student teacher application. I just hope I can continue to impress as she will be 'dropping by' about once a week to observe my teaching and write fabulously flattering observations about my teaching.

I will begin planning my own lessons next unit on the Colonial period, which is great because that just happens to be my favorite part of US History. Let's just hope it goes a little more like this...









and not like this...











It is a little bit daunting trying to plan the whole unit from nothing. I'm starting to understand why they say the first year of teaching is the hardest and the most time consuming.

Oh, and for those of you who are wondering/worrying, the friendly news anchor assures me that hurricane Gustav will not be hitting us here in Houston. But I have water, masking tape, some fancy electric device which I can use to run my refrigerator and a fan, and lots of non-perishable food in the house just in case. Thanks for all the love and support from out there.

Comments

Hurray! I'm glad you've made it through your first week. And thanks for the illustrations, they totally reminded me of "good idea, bad idea" from Anamaniacs.
Laura said…
I am glad we got to talk on the phone yesterday, Kirst. Don't be intimidated because you are awesome!!! That old lady is gonna love you and your enthusiasm, especially compared with Mr. Boresville himself.
Megan said…
Sounds like you are doing great! My friend Ruth was also a teacher, and the first year was a little crazy for her too... but she survived! :) I can't wait to hear more about your adventures. Are you liking Texas?
Kirsten! This is Barb Moore (now watson) I am so excited you have a blog! I can't wait to hear more!
Jessica said…
Kirsten!
Isn't blogging fun-we can find out what's happening with old friends. I had no idea you were a teacher in Texas. Just you watch, that southern drawl will start before you know it!
-Jessica

Popular Posts