In the Hospital : Part II


Day 3

Today I woke up and felt great.  Almost all of the pain from the week before was gone, only the knowledge of an upcoming surgery loomed. About 9:45 they came in and told me they were required by my insurance to give me private room so I was moving, and my new room had a tv and a mini fridge: luxury.  I was sad to leave my sweet roommate but she would also have her own room and I some space to relax. 

But as soon as I made a phone call to this man, the day sped up dramatically.  He works with a few of my friends from church and also manages 6 hospitals in Astana, considered to be the best, although not the newest.  Within a few hours of calling him I was in a new hospital where more of the doctors and nurses speak English and where I had his fluently-English speaking assistant, Aigerim, to look out for me each day and communicate with the surgeons for me.  An angel.

Moving was quite the ordeal, by now we had been overwhelmed with love and food and books and decorations from friends at church and home.  I called Scott to bring a suitcase and some bags to carry all the stuff I had accumulated and really wanted to keep, such a comfort and a blessing.  My church group especially came together quickly and efficiently.  I had dinner, decorations, books and magazines, calming oils, water, snacks and a bright orange cup brought to me last night by one family and others were shuttling Scott back and forth and bringing other snacks and treats and tonight I had more dinner from another family and more promised later in the week.  I really am so blessed and cared for.  Thank you all, you know who you are! 

So back to the hospital switch.  The strangest/hardest part of the move was the part when staff at the first hospital found out I was moving.  They were not happy, to say the least.  I had strange department chiefs and hospital chiefs coming to my room and calling me on the phone, telling me how very competent and skilled their doctors were.  This all happening while I was taking three VERY painful shots into the bum.  I am still bruised, nearly three weeks later from those three shots.  Suddenly this hospital had lots of English speakers one of which bent over me while I was sitting on a chair by the wall, one hand on the back of my chair one on the table nearby, and told me, in no uncertain terms, “you will have your operation here.”  Not a pleasant moment, but the one in which I decided that most certainly would not be having my operation there.  They were telling me that they had spoken to Mr. Alibek and he wanted me to stay, but when I suggested calling him myself to confirm, they quickly changed their story.  Somehow lying to me was the last straw and riding away from the first hospital in the car he had called for me, Aigerim chatting away to us in English in the front seat, was as safe and secure as I had felt since the whole thing started. 

When we got to the new hospital it looked a little shabbier but more chipper, with a few more potted plants and a few butterflies stuck to the wall.  We went through the check-in process which was quick but I was exhausted from the day's experiences.  I didn't have time to lay down before the gynecologist wanted to examine me and Aigerim was still there to translate so we did, it was more gentle and she took time to use the translator to explain to me her thoughts, the processes that would happen to me and it was all a great comfort.  Then we asked if Scott could stay with me and they said he could.  The best news of all.  

An hour later I met Mr. Ken Alibek, the savior of the day.  He was a dear, roundish man with a kind smile and a great handshake.  He grabs your hand with one hand then puts the other over the top as if to say I will take care of you.   I got two more butt shots, 5 in total.  SO PAINFUL!  Then Scott and I pushed the hospital beds together and I talked to him till I was deliriously tired, just because it was so nice to have someone I love to talk to and hold my hand.  

Day 4

As was explained to me yesterday.  Today I woke up, gave a urinalisis, and two seringes full of blood all before I had really woken up.  I think they may have given me a sleepy drug last night because I was really really tired this morning.  

Scott and I spent a lot of time today just sitting together.  He read to me from my book till I feel back asleep, I got two more butt shots, very very painful again.  Scott got internet connection for me so I can Skype with my parents tonight, can't wait for that.  My new hospital room is a little smaller and a little older.  No table and smaller wardrobes but here I have a microwave, a tv, a fridge and Scott, most of the time.  These things make me so happy.  I have privacy and a quieter atmosephere although still they like to change the trash in the bathroom at 5am.  What is up with that!?   

Comments

Rachel said…
I can't believe they suddenly found English speakers for you as soon as they found out you were going to move! Ridiculous!!!

SO glad Scott got to be with you at the second hospital!! Nothing is more comforting in a time of crisis then holding your husband's hand!

Love you!

Popular Posts