My new roommate

I was asked by one of my colleagues today to post on my blog more often. I don't really have anything ready to post that has been happening lately, but while I was contemplating the idea I stumbled across this post I wrote last year sometime and never posted. Since writing this post I have moved out of the "lap of luxury" (my grandmother's condo) into a delightfully small basement apartment where I painted my bedroom walls gray. I've always wanted gray walls. Does that make me a sad and depressing person?

So here it is, my old post from a year ago -ish.

As most of you probably know, I live with two roommates. One is my spunky, fun cousin, Melinda and the other is my 83 year-old Grandmother, Gram. Our condo has recently had a new addition however; one of Gram's dear friends and sister-in-law, Amelia, who recently had a surgery on her wrist and has taken up temporary residence with us. Living with two amazing and dear older ladies is a totally different experience than living with amazing and dear one. Allow me to explain.

Just Gram: I am the closest thing in the house to a teenage boy, apparently, which means that I take on the role of garbage disposal of all leftovers. I am, however, a bit picky about my leftovers so I find myself occasionally taking the intended dish to work and offering it to my co-workers or slyly slipping it into the trashcan after a few days. Don't look down on me, no one is going to eat them so why the need to wait for them to mold before throwing them out.

Gram and Amelia: Now there is another person to feed leftovers to. One much less picky than I. Hooray for not wasting food!

Just Gram: Occasionally she uses a cane to get around when her back is giving her trouble, poor thing.

Gram and Amelia:
Gram: Do you have a collapsible cane?
Amelia: Yes! In fact I have three canes, one for my car, one for home and then my collapsible cane, but the trouble is I always forget to bring my collapsible cane when I need a cane that will collapse.
In instances like this one, I find I am being educated for the future when I may find myself in situations where I need a collapsible cane. I am not sure what situation that might be, but since Amelia moved in, things like this have been on my mind.

Just Gram: My weakness for Oreos is expoited daily. I like Oreos. Gram knows this about me and other of her grandchildren. As a result, she keeps the cookie jar full at all times, and I can't keep my mits out of that cookie jar, hard as I may try.

Gram and Amelia: Amelia fills much of her time doing puzzles. Puzzles, like Oreos, are a true weakness of mine, and, like Oreos, I have a hard time keeping my hands off of them. It's not really bragging when I say that I am amazing at puzzles because, let's face it, no one really cares. It's more of a quirk than a resume builder. So, with Amelia, came a new temptation to my life: to finish Amelia's puzzles after she went to bed. The unfinished puzzles sat taunting me on the table after Amelia had gone to bed. I would be lying if I didn't sneak a piece or two into place while no one was looking.
Winnie the Pooh had heffalumps and woozles. I have Oreos and unfinished puzzles. To each his own.

Comments

Alona said…
I love this post! I'm glad you decided to put it up!

Popular Posts