Sing-a-long

Last night I attended a Messiah Sing-a-long held in my area. As people walked into the chapel, I couldn't help but think to myself, Who are these people? Are there really this many people who want to spend their Sunday evening singing classical music at the top of their lungs with a bunch of strangers? I mean really, who goes to sing-a-longs anyways? Aren't sing-a-longs generally associated with some sort of cheerful bouncy ball jumping from word to word during some type of princess cartoon? Are there really this many normal-looking adults who would willingly give up their time to plan, practice for, orchestrate, publicize, and attend a sing-a-long? Really? But before long I remembered that I, too, was in attendance at this sing-a-long. Me. A person who is admittedly a dork about maps and the history channel and puzzles and maybe a few other things, but, for all intents and purposes, totally normal.

My experience with sing-a-longs is more extensive than I'm particularly comfortable admitting. Beside the Messiah last night, I have also attended a Sound of Music sing-a-long and a Newsies sing-a-long. I may or may not have also participated with my nieces in the previously mentioned bouncing ball sing-a-long variety whilst babysitting once. So last night I brought the matter under serious reflection. Why?

Why do people go to sing-a-longs? Why do normal people like me attend sing-a-longs? After some careful introspection and consideration, it seems to me that a sing-a-long is simply an excuse for people who might often be found in their rooms or cars or bathrooms belting out lyrics (or other sounds if the lyrics are unknown) to do what they spend so much time practicing but in public and with other like-minded souls. Sing-a-longs are different than even karaoke because at least in karaoke the person has a desire to be share their talent (or lack there of) and to be seen by others doing it. However, sing-a-long participants do not wish to be singled out, but rather disappear in the crowd. I can imagine walking into a sing-a-long not knowing what was going on and thinking, Who are they singing for? or possibly, Why are all the men on one side of the room and the women on the other? or even, That is the WORST choir I have ever heard! But what non-sing-a-long-participants don't know is that there is a validation that comes when you are standing in a crowd of people all shamelessly trying to hit the same high G that you are trying to hit, and all failing just as miserably as you. All of the aspiration in the room makes up for the lack of talent.

So you may sneer at the person singing their heart out in the car next to you at the stoplight, but just remember... I was totally standing next to them at the sing-a-long yesterday and, in the words of one of the 'play-a-long' violinists from last night, we "raised the roof"!

Comments

Laura said…
Awesome. That is all I have to say. And I will admit that I have never been to one. But I HAVE sung along with the disney movies with the bouncing head. I love those!
Alona said…
Nice, Kirsten! I love your reasoning here and I totally agree! I miss you and hope you have a very Merry Christmas!
Susannah said…
Where have all your posts gone? December...really?!

Popular Posts