Things I learned in my recent trip to Seattle

  • Seattle is named after an Indian chief who received an equivalent of $400,000 to use his name for the city.
  • The Space Needle, built for the World’s Fair, is 605 feet tall and made out of Legos.
  • Once a year in Fremont, a suburb of Seattle, people unite to ride bicycles in the nude. Thankfully not in October.
  • You can learn lots of cool facts about Seattle from a hilarious older man with a wild assortment of hats who drives a Duck*
  • “You better try one of everything, just to be sure.” Words of wisdom from an old lady holding a massive chocolate-coated éclair and wearing a shower cap to keep her bouffant dry from the rain.
  • Stay away from old men carrying craw fish.
  • There is a wall near Pike Place market that is covered in people's chewed up gum. Intriguing, disgusting.
  • There are enough transvestites working in Seattle’s service industry that somehow every time I come into town, Katie and I are helped by one.
  • Consequently, I learned that transvestites typically give great service. Thanks Elizabeth for the tip on the French Onion Soup, it was delicious!
  • Rain can't ruin a trip to visit a good friend.
  • Random people dance on the street in Seattle.
  • Random people on the street in Seattle dance better than me.
*A Duck is a large vehicle which functions both as a bus and a boat. Ducks are used exclusively by the Duck Tour Company that provides a fun and exciting tour of Seattle by land and by sea!
  • If you want to see all the pictures from my trip click here

Comments

Kevin said…
The photographer who came to offer newborn photos in the hospital was a transvestite, as was the guy (?) working at the taco place a couple weeks later. I thought Boise was a crazy place! But those were the only two, and it's been a couple months since seeing any.
I also don't leave the house much anymore.... :) Sounds like a crazy trip!
--Chelsea
Alice said…
Terrific post. One of the best! I love a good duck. In Wisconsin, we have those in the Wisconsin Dells. I still regret becoming a driver. I should have done it for summer work during college! It is much to late for this girl to be awake. Ciao!
Laura said…
That looks SO SO SO fun!!! No fair. I wish I had been there with you guys! :) Gotta love transvestites. I thought that picture of the gum wall was awesome in a totally repulsive way. Let's talk sometime soon. I miss you!
Anonymous said…
I want to go to Seattle. When and why did you go?
Kirsten said…
I went this last weekend to visit my friend Katie since I had a few days off from school. It was really a blast!
Joetta Toland said…
Kirsty, I use to work right there in Pioneer Square in Seattle for a bank when I was a newly wed!! It is a fun and unique place! So fun hearing about your trip!

Popular Posts