my bad habit..

i have this bad habit of procrastinating updating my blog for ages until there is so much to write about that I simply can not fit it in a reasonably lengthed blog entry. So I´m left with the choice of writing a ridiculously long entry or leaving out many of the details. Well. In this particular case I think I would like to leave out the details and maybe write about them later. let me just simply catch you all up on where I am now and then I´ll add some fun details and cool pictures (with my sweet new camera) later.

last time I wrote I was teaching 8th grade in Texas. Now I am a student learning Spanish in Guatemala.

At the beginning of June I finished up my first year of teaching which was, as many endings are, bitter sweet. Bitter to leave my students, sweet to not have to go to work any more! I finished up a few days early in fact, in order to make it to my mom´s wedding in California on the 5th. It was lovely and lots of fun to be with family. I love you mom!

After the reception I sped off to the airport in order to make it back to Texas the next day for Susannah´s wedding in Houston. Also lovely. I will miss her and my other good friends in Texas so so much. After that wedding it was back home to finish packing for my impending move back to Utah. I left Monday morning for the long long drive up to Utah. The trip was rather uneventful, but in a good way. My car finally got a name, Sean... which is a big step for any car of mine. Thankfully I had my friend Matt along to keep me company and assist with important passenger duties.

I made it into Utah just in time to start stressing out about my upcoming trip to Guatemala and the fact that I had no job for the fall. But before I could really focus on either of those things I had an Andersen-Phippen Reunion to attend. We had a lot of fun and of course I was delighted by my nieces and nephews the whole time! What cuties! After that was over it was time to worry about packing and finding a job. And in something I can´t term anything but a miracle I was able to do both. I got packed up just fine with some good advice from all of my frequent travelling friends. And I was able to get a job teaching Geography at Independence High School in the fall. It is a part time teaching job, but I am hoping that I may be able to pick up a few more hours around the district as I got along. I am just glad I was able to get something! Plus Independence is a great school and Geography is my favorite!

so now here I am in Guatemala. It is so familiar in so many ways because of the time I spent in the Philippines and all the similarities... but the only problem is that I understand everything in the Philippines and not quite so much here. I´m looking forward to learning as much as I can while I´m here although I know very well that it will be a lot of work. Especially with all this Tagalog I´m trying not to mix in. Wish me luck! I´ll have more time to be on the computer here than I have had in a while so I hopefully will get to backtrack and give some of these events the blog time they deserve.

Comments

Laura said…
Kirstie! I am so jealous that you are in Guatemala. Keep me posted. I still want the rest of the goods.
Annie said…
Loved hearing the update. I am SO excited you are coming back to Utah to teach! Have a great time in Guatemala.
Ruth said…
Congrats on the job Kirsten! It is definitely all about getting your foot in the door, so you should be golden eventually. That is so cool that you're going to Guatemala, too. Or should I say, you're in Guatemala. That is truly great. There are so many teachers out there who just don't even attempt to speak the language of some of their families, so it is refreshing to see you doing this! Have fun!
Anonymous said…
How about "South of the Border"?
Hannah said…
Aaaawww! It's too bad 2 Good Things is all broken up now that you are coming back to Utah!! Have fun in Guatemala!

Popular Posts