Hit and Run...

Today I was in a hit and run car accident. I am alive and only have a bruise or two on my knee and a really sore neck to show for it... that is not including my car which is pretty bad.
The basic story of the accident is this...
I was headed west in the left of three westbound lanes. Out of nowhere I saw a maroon car coming straight at me from the Eastbound lanes at about a 45 degree angle. I only saw him a split second before he hit the rear part of my car starting me in a counterclockwise spin into the oncoming traffic. By some miracle and blessing from Heavenly Father none of the oncoming cars hit me as I skidded through all three lanes until I ended up in the eastbound right turning lane facing the oncoming traffic. I was in total shock and about to fly into hysteria but I was alive and basically uninjured. A few people stopped to make sure I was alright but the offender had taken off and was nowhere to be seen. Luckily one of the people who stopped got the licence plate number of the car who hit me and saw where he went. Well I called 911 and then spent the next two and half hours waiting for the cops to show up. After two hours I decided to call back and make sure they were coming and was flip-flopped between two police jurisdictions a few times before they told me that they had found the car and were looking for the "crack head" driver that they had a record a full page long with offenses having to do with narcotics and assault weapons. Something was telling me that this guy was not going to have insurance, and as I only have liability basically the financial brunt of this accident is going to be totally on me. YIPEE!
I was a total mess the entire 5 hours I was at the scene and on the way home my head was pounding and I was having a hard time formulating sentences so James bought me a chocolate shake and gave me some Ibuprofen and I took a two hour nap. When I woke up my headache was mostly gone but my shoulders and neck are still very stiff and sore and will probably get worse before they get better. But in truth I am just so grateful that I didn't die or sustain some major injury. It could've happened so easily and that would've been it. As miserable as this day has been, at least I get to wake up tomorrow. The rest will work itself out over time. Financially, this "crack head" has really put this unemployed student in a bind which is weighing pretty heavily on my mind right now, but my Dad makes a pretty savvy financial advisor and will help me figure it all out I'm sure. I am very sad about losing a car that I was very much attached to as well. How else will people know that I'm granola if I don't have long hair OR a rad wagon with Colorado plates?

PS. Since I still have the chance to tell you, I love you all very much.

Comments

Kirst! I cannot believe this happened to you. I am so glad to hear that you are basically 'fine' - with the exception of the sore neck, and emotional/financial stress this has put on you. I cannot believe you crossed 3 lanes of traffic without being hit - you really were protected. I am so grateful to know at least that. I really hope the car stuff will work itself out. I too will miss your hip granola wagon. But not at all compared to how much I would miss you. I'm glad you're still here for me to tell ya that I love you. I hope you can get some rest this weekend.
Megan said…
Kirsten... I'm so sorry about this. But I am so grateful you are basically okay. And don't worry, it will all work out - you're right about your dad, he'll help you through this. I'm so happy you're alive! We love you!
Alona said…
That actually is a lot worse than it looked in the camera phone picture! I'm so glad you weren't majorly injured and I hope Mr. Crackhead gets what's coming to him! :)
Alona said…
I'm real sorry about your car too!
Anonymous said…
I am so glad you survived. It is just a car. I know it is a big deal but I would rather have you then the car anyday!!!
Lisa Thomas said…
Hey Kirsti, I am so grateful you weren't hurt badly. Can we make a contribution to your car fund? I really miss having you in town. We were at the Krishna Temple in Spanish Fork last month and I just wanted you to be with us...wild and wonderful sights, smells, tastes, etc. But you are having your own wild and wonderful time. Write when you can.
Aunt Lisa
Jessica said…
I am so sorry to hear about your accident Kirsten. Like you said, at least you can be grateful you're still alive! I have been in a couple car accidents myself (as you know) and it is so scary! It definitely makes you count your blessings after getting through it.

Popular Posts