Post Op

It has been 8 weeks since my operation now. I am not 100% recovered but I am 100% back to work and my normal activities (minus a few sit-ups at the gym).

The few weeks after the surgery I worked hard to pull myself out of a slump. I was feeling homesick, worried, and pain (obviously). Friends from work and church brought us meals, books and magazines, shows to watch on flash drives, and pillows. Those helped a lot. I watched seasons 2,3, and 4 of Parks and Recreation which helped with my spirits but occasionally caused me so much pain from laughing I had to turn it off and wait till I calmed down to continue. I tried not to think about work but then I just thought about home, and that was worse, so I thought a lot about work.

When I actually went back to work, three weeks after my operation, I was immediately pummeled with issues in my department, summative assessments, students mauling me for attention, and four shows of the musical production, Wizard of Oz, for which I was teaching students the songs and putting together and running the sound for the show. It was a really busy week to say the least and totally exhausting. Thankfully the next week was a holiday called Nauryz, a springtime celebration of the new year, so no school.

Now things have settled down at work again, back into the groove of things. The final term at our school also happens to be the shortest and they pack it with two summative assessment weeks meaning the time we actually teach is shortened further. It will be over before we know it. Hooray! Nothing is better for a teacher than the end of the school year, except maybe Diet Coke (which they don't have here making the end of the school year all the sweeter).

Comments

Popular Posts