betrothed

Betrothed is my favorite of the many words that describe my current state of being.  There are plenty to choose from: engaged, promised, pledged, affianced, plighted, espoused, attached.  I suppose they all serve the same purpose when telling people that I will be getting married, except for plighted which probably doesn't mean anything to most people being such an archaic word.  

Engaged is the most common word, I suppose, although it is my least favorite.  The truth is I am incredibly engaged right now.. engaged with work, engaged with planning a wedding, engaged with trying to keep my body fed, clothing clean, and room tidy.  The word reminds me of all the things I have to do and that isn't the way I like to think about Scott and my relationship with him, as something on my to do list for October 7th.

That is why I prefer betrothed.  The origins of this 13th century word include bi- "thoroughly" + treowde "truth, a pledge".  That is how I feel about Scott, thoroughly pledged.  I didn't expect to ever feel that way about anyone, but I couldn't be happier that I have found it in a person who not only accepts my love but returns it.  Scott is my best friend and the best part of my day, for time and all eternity.  

Now is the part where you tell me how happy you are for me that I am betrothed and ask what you can do to help now that I am engaged :)





Comments

Rachel said…
Yay!!!!!! You two are the best!! Miss you--congrats--and what can I do to help?? Seriously.
Kelli said…
Love this! You have a way with words.
Rena Lesué said…
other words for your list:

twitterpated
on the edge of a cliff
pre-manacled
shackle-bound

Congrats!

Rena
Ha ha. Love it. Great post. I'm with Rach - what a can I do? I'll do it. Just ask/tell!
Jessica said…
Congrats on becoming betrothed! I'm glad you found your best friend. :) I wish you all the best.
Sarita said…
You and Scot were in one of my dreams recently, can't remember when, and I don't really remember what happened except that we were on a double date and were having dinner at your new apartment and we ate a lot of meat and lived happily ever after. The end.

Popular Posts