No boys allowed.


Have you ever noticed that women tend to create events and occasions where men are not entirely welcome? You know, the places where women go to bond, gab, compliment, laugh, commiserate, complain (admit it, we totally do), weep, be ridiculous and/or all of the above. Typically, in the past, I have avoided these gatherings not feeling like I was not 'woman' enough to join in all of the previously mentioned activities. I identified more with the 'young woman' or even simply 'girl' category. But here is some proof that I am finally becoming a grown up woman.

1. I own high heels. Not just one pair.. oh no, I totally own two pairs of really cute high heels. I may only rarely wear them, but sometimes I do and on those days especially, I feel like a grown up.

2. I went to a conference a few weeks ago called Time Out for Women with my sisters and aunts and grandma and about 3,000 other women. The conference had some spectacular speakers and true to form I did bond, gab, laugh, and weep during the weekend with some truly amazing women in my life! Ironically the name of this women's conference gets it's name from a sports reference. If I ever put on a conference for women I'll call it something more womanly like "meno-Pause for Women."
3. Saturday night I had a "girl's night" with my mother, and sisters here in Colorado. We went to a play called Girls Only downtown. The play was pretty funny and, if you can imagine, involved much gabbing, commiserating, complaining, being ridiculous, and of course bonding. Even the rather tipsy, fem-mullet-sporting woman sitting near our table felt bonded to us instantly and made sure to laugh riotously in our direction throughout the play making us all a bit uncomfortable. But it was still a great time.

4. I am entering my "late twenties" pretty soon here and, although I know that is still young in the grand scheme of things, it feels a little bit like I'm entering a new stage. Late twenties. Just admit it, it is different than early twenties.


Comments

Late twenties? Really? Try MID twenties. You don't go from early to late. You go early, mid, late. you have two more years of mid.
As for the 'womanly' moments, I can just remember a particular 2GT when a rather masculine man walked in, to help me carry my groceries and felt so uncomfortable he rarely entered our apt. without double checking that there was no meeting in progress!
Anonymous said…
I am glad the play was good. The title had me worried. Don't go gettin too womanly on me. I'm in my "early" 40s and am still not a woman...I only own 1 pair of high heels.
Laura said…
I think that is funny too. You rarely hear about "guy's night" unless beer and poker is involved. Whereas my ward has girls night every week to watch Project Runway. Uh, seriously? I love it! And late 20s my foot. That is 28 and above. I miss you!
wileywoman said…
When I put on my cute red high heels (you know the ones, right?) I totally sing that song that has the "w-o-m-a-n" words in it in my head. What's the name of that song...
Alona said…
Look at you, all grown up! I miss you! Come visit!
Rachel said…
I love the bit about the woman wit the mullet laughing towards your table...classic.

Popular Posts